African, Ghana bracelet. Sstretchy with solid brass bracelet bar which is engraved with 2 Adinkra Sankofa bird symbols.
strung in the UK using:
1. recycled glass beads handmade in Ghana’s Krobo using old and traditional bead-making techniques
2. raw, brass bracelet bar, cone bead cap and 2 small charms handmade in Ghana using the ancient lost wax technique of metal casting. One of them is the Gye Nyame symbol, the other is a full bell
3. Griffin beading elastic (fantastic quality)
4. Natural lava beads
5. Tibetan style antique brass coloured bicone spacers and pendant bail
approx 6.5 inches long 15mm wide, this being the widest bead
the bar measures 35mm x 12mm x 6mm and is excellently crafted
comes in a free bag
The meanings of the 2 symbols are:
1. Gye Nyame “except God” – belief in God as Supreme
2. Sankofa – go back and get it, an encouragement to stick to the good things in ones culture even in modern times.
*Adinkra are visual symbols from the Akan tribes of Ghana and Cote d’Ivoire in West Africa. They represent concepts, original thoughts, and popular proverbs in easily memorable form. They’re also a record of historical events and express traditional attitudes.