African Beads & Fabrics is a family run business operating from Ghana and the UK retailing authentic African beads and fabrics beautifully crafted by local artisans. On sale also, are some handmade jewellery, gifts and homeware.
BEADS & FABRICS HAVEN
Love gorgeous, unusual beads, fabrics and gifts? Care about the environment? Welcome to the right place!
With links to Africa, I source and sell authentic, superb quality beads and fabrics from talented craftsmen and women based mainly in Ghana, helping them earn a much-deserved decent living. You probably know the phrase “No waste in Africa”! The absence of industrial recycling facilities, coupled with the need to make the most of scarce resources compels many Africans to reuse stuff normally thrown away in the West.
Bead-makers turn used glass, plastic and metal items into beautiful beads, which all has to be good for the environment. For truly authentic African fabric made by local artisans and a company in Ghana (Woodin brand) this is the place to come. You will find cheaper imitations elsewhere but for the real deal, you’re in the right place. Your purchase helps keep local artisans in business amidst fierce competition from cheaper and often inferior quality imports.
UNIQUE IS THE KEYWORD
Handmade, each bead and batik fabric is unlike the other, giving you a unique and individualised look to your final project. Well made, they are rustic with a true beauty of their own. I wear my own pieces with pride and the satisfaction that no one else has one like mine!!! All the dyeing and printing of batik fabric is done by hand too in the owners’ homes.
WHAT OUR CUSTOMERS SAY
“Super fast international delivery of quality item; thank you from Australia!”. A combined total of over 15,000 sales and more than 3,000 five-star reviews is testament to the quality of the products we bring to you as well as the excellent customer service we provide.
FAIR TRADE GIFTS
In stock too are items from Fair Trade craftspeople from different parts of the world, many of which make unusual gifts sure to be loved.
1. Excellent quality handmade goods need not cost a fortune without paying an unfair price to the very gifted men and women who make them. Accordingly, we pay craftsmen the asking price upfront and in some cases advance payment is taken before a job starts.
2. To earn a decent living those craftsmen need access to Western markets. Please support them.
3. The earth’s resources must be looked after hence our big support for the use of recycled materials. When it comes to packaging, we will sometimes include recycled materials without compromising on quality. Your purchase will be helping a good cause!
Using our links, first-hand knowledge and experience as well as some research, we’ve put together information about the products we sell in the hope it proves a reliable and interesting source for our readers and customers.
You will find a bit of background to the items, some cultural perspectives and see the work that goes into the crafting the beads and fabric.
In addition to this site, our products can also be purchased from:
- Ghana AfricanBeadsnFabrics on Etsy Ghana from where we ship worldwide with a few exceptions
- KenteFabricShop on Etsy Ghana, delivering free virtually worldwide.
Enjoy browsing our shops, placing an order or two :), and getting a behind-the-scenes look!